From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 15:13:14 -0400
Because some private replies indicate some confusion:

Chris Lewis began the FML; Christopher Bennet began the FHL. The FML
is over 20 years old; the FHL is a few months over 10 years old.

Originally there was net.pets, then specialized things like
net.pets.ferrets and that went away after the start of the FML (only
to be restarted a few times and go away a few times). Chris Lewis began
the FML (ferret mailing list) because we were being over-ridden by
harassing posts from people who hated ferrets. He was in perfect health
when he passed the reins to Bill Gruber and still was when we finally
stopped exchanging holiday cards which seems like it was not all that
many years ago. Bill Gruber has run the FML for most of its existence
and done a great job.

Because he was terminally ill, Christopher Bennett wanted to leave some
things behind including a ferret health list, so I got him together
with Dr. Bruce Williams who also wanted a place which would be
vet-friendly with specific rules (a number of them ones which had been
originally designed for an A-List I ran years before during a coccidia
epidemic, and almost all of them written by veterinarians). The early
FHL agreement was that I would handle the common questions, but I
lacked time so we discussed who would be a good 4th person and Mike
Janke was on all of our lists (and we were so happy when he agreed to
join us). So, Christopher was terminal at the time the FHL was formed.
He later died of pneumonia that he could not fight at way too young
an age.

Mike left much later. At that time was a few years older than me and
developed pancreatic cancer in either his late 50s or early 60s.

Both are sorely missed.

So, two different lists and two different founders with similar first
names...

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/