From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:57:15 -0400
My 6.5 year old boy Willard very likely has lymphoma.  Ultrasound showed
mass on/in liver and enlarged abdominal lymph nodes - aspirates are
suggestive of lymphoma but most pathologists seem to want a surgical biopsy
before a definitive diagnosis is made.  For the purpose of my questions,
let's assume this is genuine lymphoma and it's in the liver and abdominal
lymph nodes.

I've read the lympho FAQ and been through the archives.  I've also read the
appropriate sections of the Fox book - my copy of the pink book (Hillyer,
etc) is loaned out but I'm getting another copy later today.  I know about
Timmy's story and the Pau d'Arco/ester C possibilities.

Willard has no spleen (concerned this may make chemo more difficult because
of its role in making blood cells).  Last year he recovered from a weird
abscess illness; long story, please see FML archives - he also has a
smaller version of one of these bizarre abscesses now, but it was drained
and injected with antibiotics during the ultrasound and he's also on amoxi
and flagyl.  Last year, he did finally need to have his spleen out because
it just kept getting bigger - no lympho was detected then but it weighed a
little shy of a pound.

I'm trying to decide on chemotherapy.  My knee-jerk reaction is that it's
too hard on them and Willard's case may be too far gone for it to help, but
I've read an awful lot saying chemo for animals is designed so the quality
of life is maintained.

There are a few helpful stories in the archives, but I wanted to ask a few
questions:

- Has anyone had success with chemo for lympho that is in the liver and
  abdominal lymph nodes in a ferret of this age?  With no spleen?

- Has anyone tried chemo in a similar situation and been sorry they did?

- The Jeglum protocol and Susan Brown's protocol as given in the FAQ:
  still pretty much the gold standard?

My vet is awesome and is also doing a lot of consulting and researching.
I'm trying to find some owners who have been through similar cases with
their weasels to help me decide what to do next.  Willard currently is
eating Bob's chicken gravy and is lethargic, more some days than others.
He doesn't eat enough unless I hand feed him.

Many thanks for any help,

-Pam S. (and Sonic and Sunny and Willard and Mojo and Bullet)