From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 05:54:17 -0400
Hi all

I just wanted to reply to Dr. Levine's post in regards to ECE.  It is fine
to say prevention is better than exposure, but since no one knows what is
causing it or how it is spread, how do you prevent it?!?!?  My rescues do
not usually take a couple of weeks to recover, the last two were not being
properly taken care of when I took them in and that it why I believe they
had such a hard time.  The kit that I received from an owner-release went
through the virus in less than two days.  I still believe that since this is
unknown, and that a younger ferret is less likely to have a bad time of it,
that you should expose early.  After all, this virus started out ONLY in Va
and Md.  in 1993 and now it has spread across the country!  I don't believe
it it going away anytime soon, nor will there be a treatment for it in the
near future and I would hate to hide away because I have an older ferret not
exposed to the disease and be in fear one day that I would bring it home!
Just my opinion, and as my hero, Jimmy Buffett says,"thats my story and I'm
sticking to it."