From:
Ken Loomis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 09:13:45 -0800
I'd like to thank everyone that responded (privately & in the mail list) to
my request for information to help me make my decision about buying a
ferret.  The decision has been made and in a couple of weeks, my little
one-room apartment will be a 'dooky' headquarters.

Even with all the great help, I was still up in the air, until two things
happened:

1) I was talking with my neighbor and told him I was thinking about getting
a ferret.  He nearly went thru the roof.  He told me that of all the pets he
has ever owned, his ferrets were the BEST.  He helped me look around the
apartment and it seems to be almost ferret-proof already (from a human's
eye, anyway).  Still have to worry about all the computer cables, but he
says it shouldn't be that hard to take care of.  Hmmmm.....What was that
funny smirk he gave me when he said that????

2) My lease says I have to get permission to have a pet.  So I went over and
asked the "new" manager.  She says "Ohhhhhh No!!!  You can't have a pet".

I replied, innocently, "But the lease says I can.  All I wanted was some
kind of little furry animal that lives in a cage, like maybe a hamster,
gerbil, or....  aaah .....  I don't know maybe a guinea pig.  You know,
something that spends most of its time in a cage, but I could let it out to
run around sometimes".
(I said batting my eyes).

Manager replies, "Oh.  something like that would be fine.  You just can't
have a cat or a dog.  I used to have a guinea pig and I always let ot run
loose.  But you know what I really want?  I'd like to get a ferret."

To which I suprisedly remarked, "Really?  I thought about that, but do you
think it would be OK here?"

Manager, in a most gleeful, childlike voice, "SURE, I think it would be a
really great pet.  If you get one, can I come visit it???"

Well, gang, we've got permission, we've got a supportive, experienced
neighbor, now all we need is a ..............  fuzzie!!!!!

I'll keeep you posted.  Now, what the h____ am I going to name him.  FIDO?

BTW (By the Way, for those that asked): I just realized (by reading a post
at 'rec.pets' from someone world-famous on this list, but I won't mention
names) that this group may not be aware of a newsgroup devoted to ferrets.
It's 'alt.pets.ferrets'.  There are some interesting things that appear
there, but this group is much more fun and more active.

Thanks all,
Ken Loomis

PS.  To all the fuzzies that played in the 'tub-o-snow's, thanks for your
commentaries.  FIDO, or whatever his name is, will give you a report.  It
sounds like fun and he should be here in time for some of that before the
last snow here in Reno.