From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 01:46:42 -0500
Howdy again:

Two things...I've been only sporadically reading the FML lately due to two
jobs and a very ill little shelter ferret (she's doing great now, thank
God...) but I've seen a few references about ferret shows lately that
were...well, less than positive.  I don't know about "other views" that
might have been presented but I thought some might like MY views...

First, though, just wondering (sorry if it's been posted already) anyone
know that there's a new ferret magazine about to be released?  It's by the
publishers of Cat Fancy and Dog Fancy, they've also published two annual
ferret magazines the past two years, it was called Ferrets USA.  The new
bi-monthly they will have on newsstands by December 15th will be called
Ferrets (they dropped the USA).  If you'd like more information e-mail them
at [log in to unmask]  (Personal Note: just because we're now going
to have two ferret magazines available, let's not forget Modern Ferret; we
can never have too many ferret mags around the house, and well, Eric and
Mary were the first to give us what we needed!  Continue to support them!!!)

Okay, now to the ferret show stuff.  How can I cram all I want to say in my
126 line limit?  I have been showing ferrets for four years now.  I am
non-political, I go to AFA shows, LIFE/LOS shows, basically, you have a
show, I'll go.  I've seen some that were put on really well, some that tried
to but Murphy's Law stepped in.  The folks that put on shows do everything
they can to put on an event that is well organized, beneficial and safe to
ferrets, and educational to owners.  Ferret shows came into existance in
order to promote our furballs, provide education to owners and the public,
and to raise money to help support the shelters and clubs that are working
their buns off to save more ferrets.  There is absolutely no sinister
alternative motive or pocket lining that motivates these folks into having
shows.  In fact, the trouble that show organizers go through to put on
shows, it's amazing that they keep on doing it!

Bring 200-500 people together for any particular cause, and something is
going to go wrong.  Too many people show up.  Too few people show up.
People show up and find their registration was wrong or missing.  Entrants
get cranky when they bring up their cinnamon ferret, show it as a sable, and
don't win.  People don't like the items being raffled off.  Rumors circulate
that only judges' ferrets are winning.  Judges find lumps in an entrant's
ferret, suggest that the entrant take the ferret to the vet and the entrant
scoffs.  Blah blah blah.

Come see me at a show, and I'll probably have something to complain about.
But in return, I'll have three good things to say.  Give the organizers of
the show some slack; they don't hold ferret shows for a living.  They have
full time jobs, run shelters and clubs, and take care of dozens of
ferrets--those are their full time jobs.  Ferret shows do so much good,
despite all that we have to bitch about.  I have learned everything that I
know about ferrets as a result of going to ferret shows.  I've met the
knowledgeable folks, made contacts.  I've gotten support and found answers
to my questions.  I learned the right way to clean teeth (and why this is
important, it's NOT so you can win 1st place), clip claws, and clean ears.
I learned about ferret nutrition.  I know why vaccinations are important,
and I know about things like ECE and why bringing unknown ferrets around
mine is not a good idea.  I can ask medical questions and feel confident
that I'm getting educated answers.  And on top of it all, I have a TON of
FUN.  Some shows I bring home ribbons--even a Best in Show for a five year
old shelter ferret named Slinky (now where were all of those judges' ferrets
that supposedly win every show that day?)

Ferret shows are not havens of disease just waiting to happen.  Yes, years
back a problem developed; show organizers learned from it and now layer
after layer of safety precautions are taken.  There have been no outbreaks
of illness since, and no, there never were any that were "concealed." If
something DID happen, show organizers would be the first to contact entrants
in order to PROTECT the ferrets and let owners know to be on the alert.  In
four years of showing, the only illness my ferrets ever suffered as a result
of a ferret show was when my Shadow got carsick on the way to a New Jersey
show.

I'm sure I'm running out of room on this message, so I'll go now.  Please,
if you've never showed, try it.  If you have, keep on going.  If you have a
problem, talk to the show organizers about it.  If you see a problem,
suggest a solution.  Every show, organizers look at "how can we do this
better?" But if they don't know something that you don't like, how can they
fix it?  Bottom line...ferret shows are NOT for ferret owners.  They are in
benefit of ferrets, period.  I learn something new every time I go to a
show, and that's why I go...the ribbons are just fun for the ferrets.  You
only benefit yourself by learning, and you help to support ferret shelters
financially by going.  If you don't like to have fun, skip the show and send
a $50 donation to the shelter of your choice.  Me, I'd like to support
shelters, meet people, learn something and have fun all at the same time.
Just my opinion...love to hear yours!

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady