From:
"Margaret Zick (and Stan, Ollie and Jezebel)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 15:24:46 -0400
I have been reading the recent discussions on Marshall Farms with interest.
All 3 of my babies are MF ferrets.  All 3 came from a pet store.  They are
all healthy and happy.  I knew nothing of Marshall Farms before the purchase
of my babies.  All I know now is the opinions of others.

I can understand why many people are greatly upset over the "disposal" of
unwanted stock.  I do not like nor approve of this practice but realize it
is something that is accepted in the raising of animals.  Jeanne Stadtmiller
referred to greyhound adoption as a model.  I have friends who own an
adopted greyhound that was stolen from a track because the owner/breeder
refused to adopt out his retired stock.  He euthanized them.  Why?  He was
afraid that the animals would be bred regardless of any agreement.  To be
legal, the owner/breeder must ok the adoption.  Even if this is done, it
does not guarantee the animal's adoption.  Many of these animals have been
run into the ground and have medical problems.  Not everyone is able or
willing to take an animal under these conditions.

It is a problem in animal husbandry in general.  I would like to stop all
of this.  Try as I might I cannot think of a way of desseminating the list
of adoptable animals to all that might be interested.  This would be an
important first step in saving a considerable number of lives.  Most
information like this is only available on a local level.  You would
quickly run out of homes for placement.

Pros or cons of MF neuter/spaying so early, at least I can't fathom a
population problem like we have with dogs and cats.

And as far as what I would call puppy mills, those places are extremely
dirty! I do not associate them with any type of pet care (outside of breeder
given required shots).

Jeanne Stadtmiller also said that MF breeds its jills 3-4 times a year even
though nature provides one or two cycles a year.  How do they do it?  Can
they induce estrus?  I am not being sarcastic.  I want to know if this was
fact or passinate statements.  I am trying to "ferret out" (pun intended)
the facts on MF.

If anyone has any ideas on solutions, I would be interested in hearing them.