From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:26:07 -0400
>From: Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I was interested to read the comment about a deaf ferret making pez
>motions with his head and that it was a firm indicator of deafness
>to the rescuer.

Hi all,

I have three deaf ferrets. Of the three, two are 'Pez Heads'. One is a
full blaze, the other two were multi-colored blazes until their first
coat change, then both (brother & sister) turned into DEWs. The one
that does not 'Pez Head' is the DEW female, but her brother does it,
as does the blaze.

'Pez Head' was a term coined by Wolfy I believe. It occurs when you
hold the ferret on it's back and rather than holding it's head up, it
flips it backwards to look at the world upside down. It's now called
'Neural Crest Disease' (please correct me Sukie!) but was referred to
as Warburton Syndrome or something similar, again Sukie, please correct
me!

Ferrets with this disorder apparently have shorter, more disease ridden
lives. My guys are 3 Y.O. or less so the only 'disease' I've run into
thus far is a skin tumor on the tail of the male that's being removed
tomorrow. Otherwise they are incredibly happy & healthy.

Leslie