From:
Kathleen Homan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:27:31 -0400
I personally do not feel at all that ferrets make suitable classroom
pets!  I work in a pet store and get approached by many teachers looking
at the ferts and thinking about taking them as class pets.  I always give
them my honest opinion and actually with my new manager my store will not
sell ferrets for that purpose.  I remember on 1 occasion a ferret was
turned into us because the woman had the fert in the school and over a
short( thankfully) amount of time she realized that the ferret needed
more care and attention then she could provide in that setting.  She had
the right intentions, but she made the right choice.  She found that the
time she could devote to the fert was not enough, Anyone who has ferrets
knows that they are a high maintenance pet.  That meaning they need tons
of interaction, stimulation and socialization to stay healthy in all
ways, Simply to provide a fert with housing, food and some daily playtime
is not enough.  And please do not think that by having 2 that they will
have each other to fill some of their needs.  Having 2 just means twice
the care and twice the joy and love they can bring!

Having said all that, there are so many more suitable pets for you to
bring into the classroom.  Fish, hamsters, even guinea pigs make good
choices.  Do some research and you will find the right one.  Please do
not take this offensively, I know that your heart is in the right place.
You are a responsible person or you would not be asking for advice first.
Maybe you can help those ferrets by aiding the center in finding them a
good home.  I am sure the ferrets would thank you for that.

Sincerely,
Kathy Homan