From:
Chris Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1993 20:00:00 -0400
Actually, I haven't put articles together by hand for years.  By
autopilot, I mean I'm not here to vet the assembled issue.  But I'm
here now... ;-)

[Bill, I've taken the conn ;-)]

The policy I have is largely to prevent unsubstantiated rumour from
getting too much airplay.  I hardly think Roger's message qualifies.
And I know how nasty squabbles can get within volunteer groups with
"causes" and executive members with "life missions".

While Van Dahm has never posted here as far as I am aware, these
squabbles can sometimes get so far out of hand, as to require damage
control by all media possible.  As such, Roger's message was legitimate
I think - FML goes to more places than even I know about.   So even if
he wasn't directly reacting to statements here, broadcasting the reply
over the FML, once, seems reasonable.

That being said, without further compelling reason, I believe we can let the
issue drop here.  Roger, if you need to post anything further, please ask
first.

[By unsubstantiated rumour, I don't mean you have to show me proof, just
be in a position to look me straight in the eye and say "to the best of
my ability, this <...> is correct">]
===

Deborah & Georgette:

To the best of my knowledge, there is no Ferret organization in Toronto.
When I moved from Toronto three years ago, there was someone trying to
start up an Ontario or Canada wide organization called "The Domestic
Ferret Association" (DFA).  I've heard nothing since.  Bill?  Chip?
Roger?  You ever heard of the DFA?

Ottawa has a ferret organization of sorts - primarily a *very* small
group of people operating a ferret shelter.  I do not have contact info.
But you could probably find out by checking with the wildlife rehab centre
or some vet's office.

I do not know whether Toronto has a shelter.

Things in Canada seem less organized than in the US.  Perhaps there
is a smaller population of ferrets relative to the US.  Doesn't
help that there's only 2 or 3 vet schools here, and the major one
is rather primitive e-mail-wise.  There are, for example, less than
10 Canadian FML subscribers.  Two in Toronto, two in Ottawa (including
myself), and a handful out west.  Perhaps one back east.  Actually,
I consider myself lucky - two years ago there weren't any other than me.

Deborah, if you're interested in starting up a group, the FML has
quite a number of very experienced ferret group people...

===

Chrissy Cappelluti wrote:

> Drop a line to the American Ferret Association asking for
>information on joining or if there is a club in your area, they will
>know about it.  If you're interested in purchasing ferrets, you
>could come visit Maryland, there's lots of breeders down here. If
>you're not up for that, again, ask the AFA for the name of the
>nearest breeder to you. I'm sure there's got to be one up your way!

Trans-border ferret movement is somewhat iffy for private individuals.
Doable I suppose if you can get full documentation, including mandatory
distemper and rabies shots.

I understand that there is a ferret breeder up near Wiarton Ontario, probably
not very big.  We had one of their ferrets.  Good temperment silvermitt.
Had some abnormalities (extra set of scent glands), and died at 10 mos due
to Lymphosarcoma.  Whether this was an exceptional case, I have no idea.
You may be able to find contact info if you pester a pet shop.  Try PJ's.

Roger said:

>Chip Gallo, Have you got a working Fido node yet?

Gack ptui! ;-)  3b1s are *really* cheap and you can run full USENET
on them.  And/or run mailing lists.  And allow outside logins...
And even run Waffle if you had to.

Oh?  Never mind... :-)