From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 22:33:25 -0500
Our local ferret group has been locking horns with state health officials
over the policy of euthanizing stray ferrets (and other mammals) rather than
one quarantine and subsequent release.  In North Carolina, the "policy" is
applied very inconsistently.  Cats and dogs are likely to be observed under
quarantine and put up for adoption or return to the owner when known.  Other
than that, it's anyone's guess as to how a stray animal will be handled.
The state vet evidently campaigned against legalization of ferrets and, now,
when queried by county health officers, evidently recommends euthanizing all
stray ferrets.

There is essentially no state health official to appeal to that would be
over the head of the state vet.  There's the governor and the legislature,
but it's a pain initiating and following regulatory reforms through that
route.  So, I've contacted the head of the rabies section at the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Charles Rupprecht.  He's
encouraged me to phone him to discuss state policies for evaluating the risk
of rabies in strays.  (I suppose it helps that I'm getting my degree in
infectious disease epidemiology and there are scads of grads from UNC at the
CDC.) Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has had contact with Rupprecht
before.  It's always useful to know what side of the fence regulatory
officials stand before making an appeal.  This may be an opportunity to make
a good impression with an official at a national level, so that when dealing
with state officials, it's possible to drop a notable name or two.  Please
contact me if you have any suggestions or concerns regarding rabies that
might be useful to bring up with the CDC folks.

   --Jeff Johnston  ([log in to unmask])