From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:22:37 -0800
Hi Everyone,

I noticed Tuesday night around 8pm one of my fuzzies (Energizer Bee, MF
female 5 y/o) eye was watering and she seemed to want to keep it closed.  I
put eye wash in her eye it seemed to help.  I decided to wait until morning
to take her to the vet (that was my first mistake) Anyway, I was at the vets
at 7;30 her eye had ulcered and looked terrible.  The vet examined her and
decided she would have to be put to sleep to look at the eye properly.  When
I went to pick her up this was the diagnosis: When he looked into her eye it
had become infected so the inside of the eye is milky and the outside is
ulcered and greenish, its like a moist scab (sorry if graphic) so he put an
antibotic cream in her eye and sewed the the lid closed.  And now it will be
wait and see.  I take her back Saturday morning to check the stitches, and
then my next appointment will be April 8th to take the stitches out.  Then I
am not sure how long before he will be able to tell if she'll need her eye
removed or if she will be able to see again, or be blind in that eye but
still have the eyeball.  Has anyone had any experience with this type of
injury?  BTW, at first he thought it was something caustic that caused the
injury because he couldn't see a puncture or tear, after a closer
examination it was a puncture.  And of course she has decided not to eat her
food, she will eat zucchini, whip cream with her medicine in it, a raisin or
two.  He suggested I get vitamin C in 25 ml doses, it should make her
hungry, of course I can't find it in that small of a dose.  Finally I put
ferretone on her food and she ate.  Probably the most important thing I
learned, if it involves the eye go to the emergency hospital immediately.  I
am sorry I learned this at her expense.  Please if anyone has had experience
with this type of injury please post on the list.  Thanking you in advance.

Jill
Owner by Rupert, Fiona & EB