From:
SSusanSanderSS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 06:54:28 -0800
I just wanted to add a little in defense of Marshall Farms (in a way).  I
understand the dangers of mass producing animals and making them available
as impulse buys (a friend told me that in a mall in Texas they were in a big
bin by the pet shop door before Christmas and people could pick them up --
like bunnies at Eastertime) but I am not going to say that Marshall Farms
mistreats their animals or sells a faulty "product".

I am also not willing to bash MF because they are helping in the CA
legalization efforts and they have money.

I have two MF ferts, both were rescues -- sort of.  They are thin and
"wimpy" possibly from the early neutering.  They are plain sables but have
thick healthy coats.  Both are adults and are the sweetest, most loving and
docile guys.  They would NEVER bite me.  They are also playful, curious and
fun.  One has an ulcer but otherwise they seem very healthy, in spite of
fairly serious neglect in one's case.

I have another pet store ferret -- maybe Path Valley?  He has a letter
tattooed in each ear.  He is healthy, chunky, intelligent, gorgeous, and
BOSSY at 10 weeks.

My last guy is from a small breeder.  He is huge, beautiful, nippy,
skittish -- but learning fast.  He's six months old and isn't used to
freedom in the house with kids and noise and constantly being fiddled with.

Incidentally, the best dog I ever had was a puppy mill collie from a mall
pet store.  My dog with a pedigree two feet long was a jerk and ended up
running away so many times that she was finally stolen.  I know genetics
play a big role, but what happens after they're born is really important
too.  SS

In cyberspace no one can hear you scream...