Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 04:03:44 -0800
This is in response to Tina who is starting up ferret rescue.  They are
words I wish someone would have given me before I started.  Would it have
kept me from rescuing?  Probably not.  I'm too determined for my own good
most of the time.  This is just food for thought.

You sound so much like I did when I started my rescue and I want to share
this with you.  It was my dream since I was a child to help unwanted
animals.  I've been fostering since I was a child of 8, any animal I
could get passed my mother...hee hee.... we even hand reared a baby
pigeon who we re released.  He chose to live around our house sitting on
our heads as we swam in the pool and picking crabs with us on the porch.
He was our Hekyll, a winged rat to the rest of Baltimore, but to us, our
baby.  When we bought our home I started rescuing reptiles as there was
a desperate need in that area.  Due to the high cost of the heating bill,
I turned to ferret rescue after we purchased our first two babies.  I
thought it wouldn't take much more than love.  Love makes all things
possible right?

Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional, physical and financial
toll, rescue would take on me.  I have had as many as 20 at a time and
seen a bout of coccidia run through once with nine of them.  Let me tell
you there is nothing as humbling as caring for a cage full of puking
wesels with diarrhea that lay around as if they are on death's door.  It
is the most worrisome and heartbreaking task I've ever taken on and
there's no way to prepare yourself for it until you go through it.  The
cleaning is never ending.  BASIC supplies on 18-20 will run you about $80
a month.  I've always thought myself to be a very strong willed and
strong hearted person.  I began rescuing thinking I could save the world.
It is a heartbreaking realization when you find that you can not.  I've
had to stop taking kids in because many of mine are getting up there in
years and three of the rescues need adrenal surgery.  In spite of what
you may hear, my vet DOES work with me on the vet bill but still kids are
waiting for surgery.  It is extremely heartbreaking looking at that fuzzy
face knowing they need a surgery and telling them that it has to wait.

When they pass on, it is absolutely devastating.  You have to choose
between making yourself numb to the emotions that surround death or
having your own heart die.

You can also expect that your social life will take a huge hit.  I don't
go out for more than a few hours at a time and instead of being happy to
be out having a good time, I find myself missing those little faces so
much, I can't wait to get home.  My bedroom is set up so that they may
sleep in there if they choose to.  I am awakened some times during the
night to sounds of clicking nails across the floor and the crunching of
kibble but it is music to my ears.  When I have trouble sleeping, I have
a nest of fuzzys within arms reach to cuddle.  A couple of them will even
sleep on my pillow.

What I'm trying to say is this.  Nothing can prepare you for everything,
but please think long and hard before you jump into rescuing.  It takes
so much more than heart.  If everyone would just take one that was in
need, there wouldn't be a need for rescue, but that too is not realistic
in today's world where the pet trade is so un-regulated.  You are among
the most supportive group of ferret people that exists on the internet
and that's a good start.  With the knowledge and heart that exists here,
you won't have to look anywhere else for support.  These folks are the
best.  Best of luck in your endeavor.

Kim and da kids at SUMS

Fuzzy Hugs from Kim and da kids at Somethin Up My Sleeve Rescue
Ask me how you can virtually eliminate the need for veterinary dental
visits.