From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:59:20 -0400
Hilbert was actually just now able to fully empty his bladder at the
hospital on a trial of that.  This is really excellent news.  They will
keep emptying it for him with repeated cystos for a while, maybe days
depending on how he does while they keep running numbers on him.

So, if you ever have one who blocks there are times when repeated cystos
may be an option to help reduce urethral inflammation.

Yesterday his creatine was still climbing, BUN 136, phos 10.6, white cell
count 12.2 thousand, and mildly anemic, BUT his potassium was fine and he
was concentrating urine (good specific gravity).  What a congenital
bladder malformation can lead to...

It will be so great if his kidneys can be saved!  Hopefully the bladder
repair he has already had will be all the surgery he'll need to for this.
It will depend on if there is further blocking and if both kidneys and
their ureters come back.  We adore him and it would be terrible to lose
him, so know that what can be done is being done...

We've been asked about Sherman who has been on 24 meds some days, and
25 others.  Before I take a break to medicate him (now down to about
18 meds a day) I just wanted to let you know that he is bouncing back
wonderfully!  He just happily struts around now, does his tricks, is
regaining weight, etc.  He still has runs but it may take weeks of chemo
to reduce those.  He has also begun eating crunchies again.  When his GI
tract was ready (which took weeks) he just plain began doing that on his
own.  He's still thin but really improving.

Thank goodness we didn't have both him and Hilbert having their worst
at-home treatment times at the same time.  (Hilly was home for a matter
of days between things because he was crashing so he needed home
encouragement of us sleeping in shifts and feeding and watering every
few hours.)

Got to go medicate Shermie now.