From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 01:22:52 -0400
The URL of this post is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/message/13135

(I have permission for certain minor editing in Dr. Williams' case.  --
Sukie)

 -------

>What precautions can I take since I am not getting any more distemper
>shots.  My ferrets don't go outside, if the do they are in another cage
>with no ground contact.  I know I can bring the virus in on my shoes and
>I will have to be careful to make sure we take off our shoes before
>walking where the ferrets run.  I would appreciate any answers on what I
>can do to assure they don't come in contact with distemper.

Dear Z: I am sorry to hear about the Merial reaction - at this point, I
agree that it is most prudent to forego the shots for this individual
(and that is something I do not say lightly.)

The most effective way to keep from contracting distemper is minimize
contact with strange ferrets.  Pet store kits are the biggest risk - these
animals are generally shipped before they have adequate protection via
vaccination, and often come in contact with puppies of similar sketchy
protection at pet stores.  Distemper also can show up at ferret shows or
club meetings, so best to stay away from them as well.

The chance of bringing it in on your shoes is fairly remote, actually;
coming in contact with unknown ferrets and dogs is far riskier.

with kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM