From:
Ellen List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:57:50 -0400
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: adrenal gland testing?
>
>...I'm not sure how to go about checking the archives, so sorry if this
>question has been asked and answered.

you may also want to check the archives on the Ferret Health Digest, as
well.  They have lots of medical information on that site.  Various vets
frequent that site and sometimes respond to questions.  Sukie Crandall
runs it and she's very knowledgeable.

>Is there a test for adrenal gland problems?  What do they do?

Have just been through this.  Blood is drawn.  The most comprehensive
test for evaluation is the Tennessee one (sent to one of the Tennessee
universities).  It tests 4 different hormones and is nearly 100%
accurate.

The test sent to Cornell University is less expensive, but tests only for
the estrogen levels (estrodial).  This test is about 75% conclusive.  If
you add clinical symptoms to Cornell results, you can be pretty sure of
the diagnosis.

Vets typically have individual lab preferences.  You may have to pick a
vet according to which test you want done.  Can you get across the state
line if needed?

If surgery is not an option for you:
I live in PA.  One of my ferrets had adrenal surgery 4 years ago, but has
"outlived" the post-surgical life-expectancy.  (I had no idea this could
happen.) My Lucy started acting adrenal again.  I was told that when the
right gland has had cryosurgery, the gland can actually "regrow" or start
producing estrogen again.  That was shocking news.

Even more shocking is that I've been told that ferrets can also grow
adrenal tissue at random anywhere in the body, making it difficult to
find during laparoscopic surgery.

During Lucy's surgery to debulk some tumors of the pancreas (yes, she has
insulinoma, as well), I asked my vet to take a look at the adrenal area.
There was so much scar tissue from past surgery, however, that she
couldn't see the adrenal area.

So, my vet referred me to a vet who implants ferrets with a time-released
experimental drug called Deslorelen (sp?).  He has had huge success with
this.  Lucy ended up having to be implanted 3 times.  My poor "baby" may
be his first case in 1,000 where the drug does not work.  But she was
more advanced by the time we determined what was happening.  We're
watching her hematocrit level closely.  It's on the low end of normal.
That is not good.  She's been put on an estrogen blocking drug, as well.

I am getting my other 3 ferrets implanted even though 2 are showing mild
signs of adrenal dx and one is not showing any signs.  The referred-to
vet said that he routinely implants ferrets starting at age 3-4 and every
2 years after that.  He's finding that they tend to do very well and live
longer.

I admire you both for having ferrets in California, and also for being
extremely sensitive to their safety.

Hope this helps,
Ellen