From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:55:23 -0500
Both here and in private mails I keep reading of MANY ferret with pneumonia
in the last month or so.  We have not had that here ourselves so I'm afraid
that all we can offer are standard nursing tips, advice to NEVER put off
getting to a vet whenever there is any breathing problem, and emotional
support for those who write to us.

Vets, have you been seeing an unusual number of cases of pneumonia or am I
just noticing them more?  (My worry is that it may not be an anomaly and
that there may be a strain more suited to ferret lungs going around.)

Owners: DO NOT wait to get your critters to a vet when breathing problems
happen.  That symptom in itself can be fatal, and the causes are serious
ones.  Are they treatable?  Usually, YES!  Caught early enough and with
enough supportive care given (antibiotics, rehydration, electrolytes, good
diet, etc.) pneumonia is survivable.  There are also some folks here who
waited longer than they would now (since they know better now) whose ferrets
are recovering so remember that ferret are tough if they just get a little
help.  Another possible cause is ascites which can happen as a secondary
problem with several things.  Not all of those health problems are
survivable but many can be controlled well enough to permit a long time of
comfortable and happy life (as oppossed to a rapid slide into disability and
death without treatment).  Remember that some ferrets (including a ten year
old) managed an extra year with cardiomyopathy with treatment and that Dick
and Joan Bossart have one going on her second year with it -- a lot better
than getting more and more tired over an month or two and dying blown up
like a water balloon with fluid in and around the lungs from ascites.  THERE
IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GETTING YOUR FERRET TO A CAPABLE VETERINARIAN WHEN IT
IS ILL!  When we have one with a breathing problem we do not wait even an
hour; we pay the emergency care fee and have the problem treated immediately
to save their lives.  This is essential!  (Ditto bleeding problems,
dehydration, or other immediately dangerous situations.)

PLEASE, folks, it scares the heck from me when I see folks try to substitute
the list for actual veterinary care, especially in a potentially life
threatening situation.

Sukie
(We have a rough write-up on our experiences with cardiomyopathy and what
worked to help Meltdown and Ruffle available to those who need it.)