From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:42:57 -0500
I read with interest Pam Troutman's comments on shelter's being
overcrowded.  Listen to this woman!  She knows what she is talking about!
Her comments for what to do when you are overcrowded are the best advice
anyone can give.  I highly reccommend if you are not a Star shelter, to
sign up, and if you are such as shelter, then listen.

The problem here is an easy one to see; you love ferrets so just cannot say
no.  Plus, you feel good when you help one out.  You like the feeling so
much, the part of the brain that says, "what is the best thing to do?" is
turned off and instead the part that says "I have to save another ferret"
is turned on.  If you really, really love ferrets, then the best thing to
do is often the one thing the "save ferrets" part of your brain ignores.  I
have always felt it is better to use shelters for emergency use only, and
escape from the blocks of cages concept where ferrets are cubbyholed and
mostly ignored.  Its a nasty business to rescue ferrets, no one denies
that.  Nor am I suggesting to turn a ferret away when it is a true
emergency.  But many "rescues" are not, in fact, rescues, and Pam's advice
is more than true.  Please listen to her on this one.

Get her materials, read them and do as much of it as you can.  And
remember, the moral and ethical thing to do is always defined as the right
thing for the ferret.  I am not convinced that the right thing is being
stacked up in shelter cages with little emotional or intellectual
enrichment.  Shelters should be portals, not wherehouses.  Pam's advice and
materials can help you turn your shelter into a portal (if you listen),
which is the one true way to really help the ferrets in your care.

------

As I post this, I am off to DC, NY and Chicago for the next week.  Any
streak of red you might see in those areas is probably me, unless, of
course, I am stopped for my annual speeding ticket.  Wave if you drive by.
I will have my laptop and will attempt to check email, but it's kind of
hard to do while going warp speed down the turnpike.  Those that have asked
me to stop by (or those I have asked to see) can expect a call sometime in
the next few days.  Give or take a day, I expect to be in DC on Tues, NY on
Weds or Thurs, and Chicago on Thurs or Fri.  I know its fast, but the trip
is really about research and I need to be back at school ASAP.  Sorry.

Bob C and 16 MO' Butt Draggin' Speeders