From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 01:03:19 -0800
Just read with interest about a week in the life of a fert who had adrenal
surgery.

My 7 year old, Billy-Bob had adrenal surgery two weeks ago.  It is
interesting the different approaches every vet has.

In my case, a blood test indicated a low blood sugar...45 when norm is 90.
She (my vet is a woman who specializes in small critters..like...FERRETS!)
She said that that was an indication of an adrenal tumor as the hormones are
thrown off causing the pancreas to go overboard on its insulin production.
There was, of course, a swollen left adrenal gland on palpation of the
abdomen.  Surgery was schedualed for a Monday in the am.  Billy went in and
I picked him up at 5.  Vet found several tumors in the adrenal gland,
pancreas was normal but discolored.  Biopsies were done of the spleen and
pancreas.  No stiches were used, as reported, she used wire staples.
(Biopsies came back normal!)

Billy was sent home with liquid Baytril, .06, twice daily...orally..he hates
the stuff..tells me off righteously when he sees me coming with the bottle
and syringe!  (Believe me, ferrets CAN talk!) Then he gets .2 of pediopred..
not bad..he will tolerate that..then he gets a good lick at the ferretone
bottle...what a bribe!.  I then let him down and he makes a beeline to the
dog's water dish and ..get this gang...just to make sure he gets all the
water he needs to get rid of the Baytril taste..he submerges his entire head
in the water..and leaves it there for a good 30 seconds while he drinks!

Nothing else or special was done..I was worried...Billy is a geezer fert..
but..his appetite came back the next day..albeit miniscule, but by day 3 he
was back to his 'keep' the dish full dad, I'm hungry' mode.

Oh yes..wire staples just fell out when swelling from the incision went
down.

Now if only his hair will come back!

Joe, with Garret on one shoulder and Billy Bob ripping my toes
off..."I'M  BAAAACK!"