From:
"Kurt D. Springs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:10:14 EDT
Hi Folks,

Last week I discoved that my latest addition, Kestrel, is deaf.  She has
a partial white spot on the back of her head, kind of a Blaze-wana-be.
So, the deafness gene is there.  I discoved this while calling my brood
over for a treat with the squeaky toy.  Kestrel never showed an interest
in it.  One day I picked her up and squeaked the toy next to her and she
didn't even notice.  I took her to Dr. Dutton and he confirmed that she
was deaf.  I've started slapping the floor to teach her to come.  When
she comes I give her a treat.  She still has trouble socializing.  Peter
isn't much of a problem.  He is teaching her to wrestle for fun.  Kian
still tries to bully her, but it's half hearted now.  He basicly
tolerates her.  Mhaire avoids her when she can, bites her when she
can't.  She is also very vocal.  Does anyone have some further tips on
teaching and socializing deaf ferrets.

Also, I want to ask are UK members about transporting pet ferrets to the
UK.  My final decission to do this is a few years off while I finish my
Masters in Archaeology at Harvard.  I want to get my PH. D in Celtic
Archaeology at Edinborogh Universtity, or Glasgow (sp), or some others.
I heard two quarantine times.  One was six months, the other, which I
believe is for dogs and cats, is one month.  Which one is it?  Also, if
it is only a month, can the incarcerated animals be visited on a regular
basis to keep their spirits up?  You can e-mail me with this
information.

Kurt  "Next time Gold Fish!"
Peter  "What's a Litter box?"
Mhaire  "I'm ready to be adored now."
Kian  "Come back her you little pipsqueak!"
Kestrel  "What?"