From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:25:35 -0500
Sydney's weird tumor growth turned out to be adrenal cancer.  The mass
was thought to have grown over and encompassed the right adrenal, but in
appears the opposite happened.  Anna Edling did the surgery, so I have no
doubts about the findings or her expertise.  From the ultrasounds and when
removed, the growth was believed to be anything but adrenal cancer.  Syd is
very healthy appearing, he is a big boy to begin with, well over 3 pounds,
but put on his winter pudge on top of that, has a thick, soft coat, eats
like a pig and plays with the other boys all the time.  He is less than 2
years old (birthday in March).

I am in shock, the phone call from the vet just came in.  She did a thorough
exploratory (Syd's incision is probably 4 inches long).  Dr. Edling saw no
signs of cancer, all organs were fine, the left adrenal was healthy.    Her
recommendation at this point is to ultrasound again in 4-6 weeks.  She does
not want to do chemo, because she is confident there is nothing there to
chemo.   She told me about another treatment for adrenal (sorry, I can't
remember the drug's name), but that treatment could damage the healthy
adrenal gland and cause further problems.

My question - what other treatments or avenues are there to consider?   She
is somewhat concerned about the cancer returning and spreading to the lungs
because of the growth's location.  I know there has been much talk in the
past about Tommy's Tonic (hope that is right).   What indication would this
tonic be effective for?   Is there any preventative value?

Syd is young, very active and such a lovable guy, I can't imagine losing
him at this age.  Whatever advice, experience or suggestions anyone may
have, please email me.  I've been a ferret owner for a while, but this is
our first major health crisis.

Hugs to everyone...

Jen and Gang