From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 10:03:54 -0700
Hi Everyone,

I just brought in a wonderful baby boy ferret from Las Vegas around two
months ago.  I had no problem at the border stop - but here are some things
to consider.  Don't have a cage or a pet carrier in the vehicle- this is a
dead give away especially if it is empty.  I would not have a cage with me
period if just adds to the probability you will be stopped.  If someone is
with you- have them lay down in the back seat and scruff your ferret
(wearing it out also is a good idea - so play, play, play before you get to
the border) to keep it still during the actual drive through the border
station.  Pretend to be asleep with a cover over you and your new pet.  No
pet food in vehicle (put in your purse or whatever or dispose of before you
hit the checkpoint.  No pet bowls-have a cup of water from a fast food place
for your kit to drink from.  In other words don't have anything that
wouldn't normally be there if you weren't traveling with an animal.  Also no
other animals - they just attract attention.

I got my new pet at a store called Pet 2000 or something like that- the 2000
for sure.  They had a great selection (around 30 kits) and the best thing
was that they were kept in a petting area.  Much like the ones dogs are that
are quite large, open at the top and glass sided and you can reach in and
interact with them.  They were all together and some were playing and some
sleeping.  Quite a crowd of people were playing with them.  The kits had
plenty of food and water.  The only drawback was the sawdust on the floor
but I told them about it.  And they take checks from California!  The store
was air-conditioned and the animals in great shape.

My boy Scooter had to be put to sleep a little while ago and while I still
mourn and miss him - my new boy, named Scooty in honor of Scooter, is
wonderful.  He has helped me get over losing my little boy of nine years.  I
think he will be a very big boy though.  My husband hopes he gets as big as
a cat.  All my others (2) weigh less than 2lbs- Scooty has quadrupled his
weight and size in the last two months.  He is around four months old and
weighs a little over three lbs.  Scooty has the longest tongue I have ever
seen on a ferret - If he grows into it- he will be huge (at least in the
ferret world- maybe four lbs).  He has the perfect personality- loves to
play, loves to cuddle and be held and is very smart.  I am so lucky to have
found him!

Anyway pray that ferrets become legal in California!  Write those emails and
letters to your elected officials.  Pray for Kodo, write and call for him-
that could be any of our pets.  We need to change things now!

Donette- ""I love them all"
John- "I am hoping for Scooty to get as big as a cat!"
Scooty-the chubby new sable boy "Hey how come only the dog wants to play
with me!"
Hershey- the dainty albino girl "leave me alone, you Scooty moose!"
Fritz-  the grand father silver bug "hey don't wake me up- where's the
Pepsi anyway?"