From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 20:49:32 -0500
Gayle L. Miller, DVM, MPH, State Epidemiologist / Deputy State Health
Officer; Office of the State Epidemiologist, Wyoming Department of Health,
2300 Capitol Ave., Hathaway Building - Room 427, Cheyenne, Wyoming 82002,
(307) 777-5596, fax (307) 777-5573, [log in to unmask]; excerpts:
" ... I am the person who makes the decision to include ferrets in the same
fashion as dogs and cats for bite incidents and rabies exposure.

The change will go into effect immediately..."

New Jersey is my own state so among other things I'd suggested to the
governor's office that she announce this as a holiday message.  Apparently
that letter got forwarded on to the Commissioner of health by an anxious
staff member of her office, so for N.J.  I've got two signed letters from
both Len Fishman and Faye Sorhage saying that ferrets now have the same
protection as dogs and cats for the notebook for the Morris Animal
Foundation.  Since Dr. Sorhage made the policy decision I'll quote from her
letter.

Faye E. Sorhage, V.M.D., M.P.H., Coordinator, Veterinary Public Health,
Infectious and Zoonotic Disease Program, CN 360, Trenton, N.J. 08625-0360,
(609) 588-3121; excerpts:
"... regarding the Department of Health and Senior Services' new policy on
quarantining ferrets for ten days, if they bite a human, it was myself who
made this decision to implement this policy.  The policy went into effect
on November 3, 1997..."

Sukie