From:
Dale Nupp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:46:05 -0400
Greetings Ferreteers:
I need advice from the assembled multitude.  About six weeks ago I took
my Chloe (the most perfect DEW in the whole wide world) in for her shots.
The vet remarked at the time that she had lost weight from July a year ago.
Since ferrets can lose weight at odd times of the year, I agreed to watch
her a little more closely.  I recently noticed that over the past two
weeks her vulva has swollen.  Although not anyway near as large as a jill
in heat, it is certainly distinct and much larger than any of my other
females.  This leads me to believe that I am facing possible adrenal
disease or an incomplete spay.  She otherwise appears healthy both on the
intake and the outgo.  She has plenty of energy.  Although it may not be
important, she is a three and a half year old Marshall Farms fuzzy.  No
other signs.  BTW she never lost her winter coat.  She has beautiful fur
everywhere except on her lower belly where she tends to lick.

I am going to take her to the vet tommorrow to see what he says but I
already suspect he will suggest waiting on surgery until more signs appear.

My fundamental question is whether or not I should wait to have her opened
up or do it now while she is still in very good health.  Your thoughts
would be greatly appreciated.

Dale