Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:39:36 -0600
To the person who wrote with a link to the DOC's website here in New
Zealand..  While the DOC will openly admit they exagerate facts, and twist
things in favour of thier cause, what they do is not totally unjustified.

While from what I've seen, the situation in California seems to be
unjustified, ferrets ARE a problem pest here in New Zealand.  I've done
some research on thier influence here, and they do appear to be one of
the least damaging feral pests in New Zealand, especially compared to the
damage done by thier relatives, stoats and weasels, but they do pose a
threat to our native fauna, who are very unsuited to protecting themselves
against such predators.

Also, with less known about them, a lot of pet ferrets are released into
the wild.  I know myself of people who have done so, sadly long before I
was told, or I would have done something.

I also know firsthand ferrets can survive here.  The one I know of survived
in an urban area, most likely raiding trash or other pets food, for over
two months, and didn't really seem any the worse off.  I did catch it and
returned it to its owners.  I don't know how well they could survive in the
wild, but the conditions are very well suited to predatory life, and the
possibility does exist that one could, and most likely in an area where the
easy prey, namely our native wildlife, was also around.

While I certainly do not at all agree with some of the measures suggested
by the DOC and organisations backing it up, I do agree with thier view of
ferrets being a danger, and although they are a small one, thats still a
few less native species each year, and can see why they want to do
something now, before they get to the situation with cats and dogs where
any type of retriction would cause a public uproar, to try and curb the
possible dangers of allowing a predatory species lose as a popular pet in
New Zealand.  I do not support the suggestion of banning them regionally
or nationally (except near nature reserves) but I do support some of the
suggested restrictions, such as licencing, and dexsexing of all ferrets
except licenced breeders.

This will not only help conservationists, it will also help ferrets in New
Zealand, and hopefully help to relax some of the bad feelings and
encourange more education towards ferrets in New Zealand.

- Reet