From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:55:51 -0800
First off understand we completely agree with your goals.  We even have
tried to work with some of you proposals.  We are not trying to tell you not
to do what you are doing.  We are just trying to add a bit moredetail.

>From:    "Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms
>Marshall Farms originally started as a puppy farm, breeding (beagles?) for

This does not at all match the history as we know it.  Marshall pratically
invented the ferret as a research animal.  They had no intention of going
into the pet market with ferrets.  Dr. Wendy Winstead would buy ferrets from
Marshall Farms and resell them as pets.  They were practically forced into
the pet market.  They used to sell pet ferrets whole - we have some of their
ferrets in the backgrounds of some of ours.

The facilities were so improved during the time that Dr. Judi Bell was there
that the pet store ferrets starting matching the hobby breeder ferrets in
size and health.  Better food, more room and new buildings were part of her
doing.  The 400% increase sounds way too small if you mean since the
seventies when this all began.

Retired breeders that can not be used for reasearch (such as rabies and ECE
studies) do not have a long life.  The age is not 2 or 3 but more likely 4
when they go geriatric.

>I also have serious moral issues with the use of ferrets or any other
>animals in the testing of products.

BIG has said A/R on research is off limits here.  I've not heard ferrets
were used in cosmetics reasearch anyway.

>Marshall Farms does have valid points for altering ferrets at a young age.

Good points were made in this paragraph.

>Perhaps also, MF would compromise and begin turning over the females
>scheduled for euthanization to not-for-profit groups such as schools, rest
>homes, rehabilitation facilities, etc.  They could in turn take a tax
>write-off for this "service".  Of course the females should be spayed first.

Nice idea.  Lets talk.  Who can handle all of the ferrets that would come
out of this system.  The current shelters would be overwhelmed in a month.
Completely buried.  No way they could be handled effectively by the current
non-system.

These breeders are not as well socialized.  These are NOT the ferrets to go
to schools where youngsters or to rest homes where less mobile folks would
handle them.  Tax write off on a depreciated animal is nil.  MF would
probably get into tax trouble even trying to give away these ferrets.  The
US tax code for business depreciation is rather strict.

This is not a compromise on Marshall's part it is giving in completely.
Compromise would be listening to their request to be paid for the ferrets.
No one yet has volunteered to work on that including us.

>It seems that compromise and education are needed here.  As I previously
>said, a later alter/ship schedule.  Marshall's needs to spend more time
>educating pet store owner/managers, who in turn need to educate their staff
>and the public.  Education is the key word here.

Agreed but we the "organized" ferret world should bear a large part of the
costs as well.  Its not fair to expect MF to should the costs of a program
to benefit all ferret breeders.

>One other point I would like to bring up.  Marshall Farms is located in
>Upstate New York.  There have been at least one documented instance (I'm
>certain many more like it exist)

The "I'm certain" with no evidence to back it up is a bit disconcerting to a
scientific mind.

>where MF has shipped crates of ferrets out via air cargo and directly into
>incoming Noreasters, where kits died after sitting in a freezing, drafty,
>damp cargo hold for many, many hours becuase flights were grounded.

And the airlines that accepted the shipment should do everything they can to
prevent its happening again.  The airline is the company that accepted the
responsibility for a live cargo and failed to provide for it.  MF has
absolutely no control over how an airline routes a flight nor whether a
flight is to be grounded.  The airline should have rerouted the cargo.  The
flights are booked much earlier than the couple days the weather service can
predict.

MF is contractually obligated to ship when they do.  The pet stores ordering
the ferrets don't have clauses for expensive flight changes.  MF would still
have to pay for the flights even if they could outguess the weather and pull
shipments and try to get on others.

>I will continue to boycott all Marshall Farms Products until they will at
>least sit down with members of LIFE, LOS, AFA and HSUS to discuss the
>problems that they create for the ferret shelters, as well as thier shipping
>policies.

You won't get the ferret side of these groups to agree to sit down.  We
would never be a part of a talk with the HSUS present.  How about the ASPCA?
They have a much better track record as does the AHA.  How about NAFA?  Its
as large as LOS.  And there is still the Ferret Fanciers Club in Pittsburgh.

>Only when they have cleaned up their act with overcrowding in their
>facility, revamped their alter and shipping schedules, initiated an
>education plan for Pet Store owners and propective ferret owners, and
>stopped euthanising breeding females who they no longer have "use" for,
will, I give this company another dime.

They have fixed the first problem years ago.  The second is really the
airlines and no real solution to the last has ever been proposed.  But we
also do not buy Marshall products.  But we don't support them for entirely
different reasons.

>Until then, I will take care of the 5 MF rescues I am now owned by, and put
>my disposable income towards products amde by other companies who are more
>interested in the health and care of ferrets than the almighty dollar.

Not sure of any companies that qualify then.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]