From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 07:00:17 -0500
I will be gone from Sunday to sometime later in the week (probably Friday
or Saturday) to do a little research and for some very brief visits.  I'll
be in DC for a day or so (Monday or Tuesday, depending on my driving
stamina), then, as the trip progesses, up to NY, over to Chicago, then a
race back home.  This trip is very limited because of school, and I will
not have much time because of some research needs.  But, as time permits, I
will be willing to stop and BRIEFLY visit people situated along the
indicated route.  NOW is the time to ask me to stop because once I set the
time and stops, I won't be able to change them to accomodate late requests.

I am very sorry this trip has to be so fast with so little time for visits,
but I'm barely shoehorning it in as it is.  As always, requests are
accepted on a 1st come 1st asked basis for as long as I have extra time.

------

The response to the Fellow Ferret Geeks has been quite promising.  If you
do not know what I am talking about, please refer to my post from two days
ago for a detailed explanation.  Basically, I am forming an association of
people who will be pooling references to create a centralized ferret data
base for use by ferret people in need.  If you want to know more, write me
and I will forward the original FML post to you, or you can look back two
days on the FML and read what was posted.

Some of the ideas suggested have been wonderful.  Several people suggested
placing the info on a webpage, one even suggested full access via
passwords.  Many people who work in research offered special skills to help
with the process of cataloging or paper collection, and I think I was
offered a first born child by one person desperate for information.  Not
sure, but sounded that way.... ;-).  People from 4 different countries want
to participate; 5 counting the USA, but we are not a country, we are a
state of mind, so I only counted 4.  One very generous and ferret-committed
person even offered a free copy of a special book for the archive (I would
normally brag about who offered, but I'm not sure if it was intended to
become public).  In short, the response has been very encouraging and I
think that ultimately, it will become quite important with time and many
helping hands.

I want to stress once again that even though I am the central depository
(as a sort of default) because I already have such an extensive collection
of material, this in no way is an attempt to "build-up" the collection, or
to obtain free work or materials from others.  With the exception of local
newpaper clippings, ferret club newsletters, older veterinary literature,
and obscure reports (especially difficult to obtain articles from non-USA
sources), I *ALREADY* have almost anything you can find regarding ferrets.
I simply wish to provide a service for those who are unaware of the ferret
literature, who need specific articles for ferret-related needs (like
fighting city hall and stuff), and for people with the desire to learn more
about ferrets.

The "club" is essentially a cooperative, where people help me get what I
don't already have and in exchange they can have what is in the collection.
I am currently cataloging the collection (it *WILL* take some time), and
will provide a bibliographic reference list as either an endnote file or
text, and specific articles as jpegs, faxes, scanned text or snail mail,
depending on needs and time constraints.

For example, a short while ago, I needed a reference that said ferrets were
feral in New Mexico, but could not get the reference locally.  I posted on
the FML for help, and several people came to my rescue, making sure I had
the reference very quickly.  That is what would happen on this list;
someone would ask for a specific reference, and if it was in the
collection, I would send it.  If not in the collection, someone in the
cooperative can get it and send it to the person, as well as me, the
curator of the central collection.  That way, the next request could be
instantly answered without delay, either by me, or through some sort of web
page.  Periodically, the reference list would be updated to reflect current
holdings and needed references, and made available to the people on the
list.  Non-members can have the bibliography (or specific areas) on
request, but only members can have access to the actual materials.

Hopefully, this cooperative will help people find the stuff they need (or
just recognize what is available that *CAN* help them) as well as providing
access to (sometimes) extremely difficult to obtain material.  Someone need
a copy of a recent rabies report?  If someone on the list can get it, or I
have it, you can find out about it.  If you are a member, a copy can be
forwarded for your personal use or scholastic research.  I think this could
be a very good tool for ferret people, especially those involved in ferret
legalization issues, or those needing background material for newsletter
(or other) articles.  I encourage newsletter editors to join, people who
can translate French, German, Russian or Hungarian (most foreign articles
are in these languages; many have an English summary), shelter owners, and
anyone involved in legalization issues.  But anyone can join; several
people wrote to say that although they probably would never ask for
anything, they would still like to donate skills or photocopying time so
other ferret people can benefit.

Remember, if you want to join, just email me with "FELLOW FERRET GEEK" in
the headline.  That's "fellow" as in "comrade or associate," not as in
"male." Ok?  ;-)

Bob C and 16 MO' Fellow Fert Reference Hounds