From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:51:35 -0500
===   Live long and prosper
Ferrets, when treated well and provided with the best in life, can live long
and happy lives.  Just so some of the FML readers can see ferrets can live
long and happy lives, I'd like to share my household with you.

I presently have 10 ferrets living with me.  They range in age from 8 months
old to almost eight years.  Two females and two males are intact for breeding
purposes, and the rest are retired breeders or late neuters.  I did have to
have my last Marshall Farm ferret put down this past January with his former
breeder friend - they were both 7.5 years old.  The MF, Bear, albino, was
suffering from lymphoscarcoma.  His friend, Streak, silver, had a hematoma
that was about to burst.

My present two oldsters are a female sable named Jessica and a silver male
named Pokey.  Pokey took best in alter class at the GLFA show last June at 7
years of age.  He experiences spells of disorientation, but since his
glucose is being monitored (ranges from 53 to 85), it is being controlled by
diet and supplements at this time.  Jessica has had bad teeth recently, and
had a molar and another tooth pulled last year.  She developed a cavity in
her remaining molar and I took her to the vet to have it pulled last week.
The vet tech mixed her up with a ferret needing adrenal surgery, and she was
opened up to find her adrenals were just fine.  Then the vet realized the
switch, pulled her tooth, and sewed her up.  Jessica recovered just fine, so
people thinking older ferrets can't handle surgery need to really evaluate
on a case by case basis.

The next older set of ferrets are in the 5 year range - Lil Bear (albino
missing a foot and his tail), Schultz (sable from Germany and still whole
for breeding at this time - to be retired this year), Nanuq (silver male who
underwent pancreatic and adrenal surgery last year and still has not had a
relapse), Princess (chocolate female with cataracts since she was two -
never had a litter), and Wendy Darling, Cinnamon mitt, who was just retired
from breeding after her third litter last year.

My youngsters are Lisel (25% German sable jill, under 2 years old - mated
with Schultz and litter is due 4/19ish), Mia Darling (Wendy's cinnamon
daughter who is in heat but too young to breed, 8 months), and Little
Wilhelm (75% German cinnamon male who is looking for a woman!  He is 1.5
years).

All are presently happy and healthy; the girls all just got their rabies
shots (I don't vaccinate ferrets 6 years or older unless it is for a show),
and I'm taking Princess and Nanuq to the LOS specialty show in PA April 5,
and Schultz and Nanuq to the Baltimore SOS show on April 19th.

What do I tribute to their health?  Good food (I use a mix of TF, Iams and
Pro Plan), lots of love, regular vet checkups, exercise, and keeping them
caged when I can't keep an eye on them.  I feed very few treats, and only
use Linatone for nail clipping time.

===   ferret shelters et al....
>From:    Stephanie Yoong <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fuzzy Folk in Arizona?
>I'm a lurker--I was wondering if there is anyone on here from Arizona who
>can tell me about shelters and good vets and a place I can find Totally
>ferret and other ferret supplies in the Phoenix/Tempe/Chandler

Send a SASE to STAR* Ferrets, PO Box 1714, Springfield, VA 22151 and I'll be
happy to send you (and anyone else) a list of ferret people in your state or
zip area.

===   Seeing red
>'m curious - does anyone know if
>ferrets can see in color or in B&W?

According to information by Fara Shimbo (FURO), ferrets can see red but
little else in the way of color.

Pamela Troutman Grant