From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 15:52:00 -0400
On the McDowells
In Dec 93 a KPL worker came in to check & light pilot lights in a home in
Onaga Kansas.  The 13 yr old daughter was home alone.  The man wanted to
see the ferret (Longtail) so the girl took him our of his cage.  When the
man reached toward the face of Longtail - he grabbed his finger but didn't
break the skin.  The girl saw no blood or broken skin and the man didn't
ask for first aid or to wash his hands.  He serviced the McDowells and
other homes in the area that Saturday.  Several days later he went to the
doctor and KDHE was contacted.  They contacted the McDowells and told them
to turn the ferret over to be killed and tested for rabies.  The McDowells
refused to do so without a court order.  Before they went to court Longtail
and his brother George came up missing - taken from their car in a mall in
Manhattan, KS.  Mike McDowell lost his job with the Pottawatomie Co
Sheriffs Dept even though he was not held in contempt of court.  Rita
McDowell was held in contempt for not finding and turning Longtail in
to be killed.  Although several attorneys have stated the McDowells have
cases - no one will take them because they can't afford another retainer.
Two attorneys have dropped the McDowells and they are still seeking legal
assistance.  KDHE requires that all ferrets that bite be killed and tested
regardless of circumstances or vaccination status.  Their was never any
evidence of a bite produced and the names of the worker and doctor were
never released.  The McDowells livelihood has been destroyed and they
are still having difficulties both financially and emotionally.  I keep
in touch with them so if anyone wants me to relay a message I will be
happy to.

Ferrets and Cars
I guess I'll be brave and admit I let my little ones run free in our little
truck when we go places.  I haven't had any problems but I am extremely
careful with them.  I don't take them in the truck when it's too hot (next
vehicle I get must have AC!) and I never open windows more than just a crack.
After they check things out they settle down under the seat and sleep most
of the way.  Occasionally they'll climb on my shoulder but rarely stay very
long.  We're putting a board behind the seat for a little ferret shelf so
they can see out the windows when they want.  As far as by the pedals -
I usually just move them with one foot if they wander too close and they
get the message.  Now I do a lot of country driving and very little city
driving so this makes a difference for us.  I'm a very attentive and
cautious driver especially when the little ones are with me.  When friends
ride with me they're amazed at how well behaved the little ones are - but
they've been doing this as long as I've had them.  Accidents can happen at
any time and I'm well aware of that.
Bye for now!  Troy Lynn