From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:40:54 -0500
>I found a breeder who is promoting 'bobtail' kits - in fact their
>hob threw 100 kits last year and the bobtail remained true to the
>litters....my research on Waardenburg shows that the primary symptoms
>of the genetic disease are the white blotches and deafness (the hob is
>a panda) but also includes osteoarthritis, neural tube defects,
>gastrointestinal disorders, limb defects, etc.  I believe that because
>the hob is a panda color and also has the bob tail that this ferret has
>Waardenburg syndrome.

Dear X - I am not a geneticist, and there are people on the list more
qualified than I, but let me take a stab at it.  I would hesitate to jump
to the conclusion that this expression is part of Waardenburg syndrome.
It does not appear to be related to defective embryologic migration of
neural crest cells, nor is it a true limb defect or neural tube defect.

It is however, a genetic defect, and one that apparently has a high rate
of penetrance (the the likelihood that an animal with that gene will
exhibit the defect).

Let's talk a bit about selective breeding.  It is simply how new breeds
and colors are made in ferrets, or in other species.  You can't breed for
a distinctive trait without risking bringing other defects into the line.
That is why we now have Waardenburg syndrome in color- diluted ferrets.

Manx cats are popular in some areas.  However, the defect that causes the
tailless Manx cat has also introduced a similar defect, that of spina
bifida.  (It would be interesting to see if this is also seen in these
bobtail ferrets).

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM

[Sukie note; I have not heard of some of the things above mentioned by
the questioner in relation to disorders such as WS, though I have read
of some in relation to other genetic disorders; it may simply be that my
reading was not extensive enough.  The intestinal disorder that I have
read can be related to one form of WS is a painful one in which severe
(life threatening) constipation apparently can result.  I am hoping that
one of the geneticists on the list responds with more information.]