From:
Lorraine Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:36:57 -0700
>... I do not have a ferret but have wanted to adopt one for about 4
>months now, but since im still living at home i have to go by my folks
>rules. ...

I don't know how old you are Peter, I'm assuming your in your teens
somewhere.  I'm sure you would make a good fuzzy owner and I know it's
annoying when your folks won't agree to bringing a pet into their home.
But TRUST me, the last thing you want to do is adopt a pet (of any kind)
and then be forced to give it up because you went against the wishes of
your folks.  (I had this happen when I was younger and it broke my heart).

I can sympathize with you.  I'm in my 30s now and back home with the folks
while I go after a nursing degree.  I only have one fuzzy and have been
campagning for a second.  My parents are good people, but it is their wish
to keep the ferret population at "1".  Yes, I too have the urge to "sneak
one home", but I know that would not be appropriate or fair to my folks.
I hate to say it, but I think I will just give up on having another ferret
until I'm on my own again.

Suggestions on how to approach parents (good luck):

1. Go to ferret central and get the "short" version of the FAQ to show
them (print it off for them).  www.ferretcentral.org (I think)

2. If you know somebody who owns a nicely trained ferret invite them over
for a visit (with the ferret) so that your parents have a chance to see a
fuzzy in action

3. If this doesn't work, give up for the time being.  It is THEIR house
and they do have the right to deny you having a ferret.  You can always
get a ferret when you are on your own.

Questions for you:
1. Do you have at least 2 hours a day to dedicate to a ferret?  They
are work and need a lot of training, especially when young.

2. Have you gone to ferret central yourself?  I would suggest you read
the information they have there.

3. Do you have about $500-600 to equip your ferret properly from the
start?  This amount covers: Ferret adoption ($50 +/-) or purchase ($100+
at pet store), cage ($150+ to get anything decent), $200 for "extras"
(i.e. bowls, hammocks, toys, nail trimmers, water bottle, litter pans),
add another $40 for staples (litter and food and treats), plus $50 for
initial vet visit (even if the pet store guarantees that your fuzzy is
a-okay take him to a vet for immediate health check)

4. Can you afford a ferret?  Minimally you need $50/month to keep your
ferret fed and in litter and you need an extra $100/year for vet bills
(assuming the ferret is healthy, lets not even discuss what happens if
the ferret gets sick or injured).