From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 19:16:45 -0400
From Rachel:
>My boyfriend's friend doesn't like his ferret and he wants to "rescue" him.
>He said he's mean, but I think it's because he doesn't get out of his cage
>much.  ...  Does any one think his meanness would rub off on Gus, or would
>the oppostite happen?

I agree with you that his so-called "meanness" is probably from being stuck
in his cage.  Give him some time to settle down and lots of time to run
around.  Even if he does bite, with love and patience he will soon come
around.  Good for you and your boyfriend for getting him out of a bad
situation.  I've met abused ferrets who bit, but never one who was
intentionally mean.

From Nancy:
>We all know that many indoor plants can be poisonous when chewed on or
>ingested.  But how about outside plants?  Are there any flowers or shrubs
>that should be avoided on our great adventures?

One of the biggest hazards of taking your ferrets outside is your neighbors'
use of lawn chemicals, poisons, herbicides, etc.  I would be very careful
only to take your ferret to places you know for sure have not been treated
with poisons.

From Liz:
>...my friend recently had 4 ferrets put to sleep after a veterinarian
>diagnosed them as postive for feline leukemia.  Now as far as i've ever
>been aware they can NOT catch this.  IS canine distemper similar?  I'm just
>wondering how such a BIG mistake could be made.

I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds.  If I were your friend (or you) I
would follow up on this story and find out if this vet is really as ignorant
as it sounds, or if somehow there is more to it?  First I'd want to hear
exactly what the diagnosis was and exactly what the vet told your friend.
If he/she really said it was feline leukemia and the ferrets should be
killed, I'd 1) switch vets and 2) try to educate this particular vet about
ferrets.

Ronnie and the Crazy 8
Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming, Merlin, Roxanne, Petunia and
Shoeweasels Epcot and Clover