From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:26:49 -0700
Hello All...
I have been reading about the ferret attacks.  I would just like to add my
two cents.  I believe that any animal can attack.  But really, if you look
at it, dogs attack more, and normally cause more damage...yet there is no
debate in the states about banning them.  Even a very laid back cat can
attack... with or without reason.  Most times there is a reason that
the animal attacked...medical, abuse, neglect, just to name a few.  My
personal view is that ferrets make the news because people don't know
much about them so when they do attack (if it is even them) they are "big
business".  I have one ferret who I wouldn't leave alone with a child
because she came from an abusive home and is still learning to trust.  I
have another ferret who I wouldn't worry about at all because she loves
kids.  However, in any case, it is the adults responsibility to watch
both the animal and the child.  A child can hurt the animal without
meaning to and the animal might bite or scratch out of fear.

I did some digging and found some web-sites about the ferret
attacks...figured I would share the links with everyone so, if you want
to, you can check them out.  Don't know how much is "true" but most look
like news reports.  Anyways, here they are:

http://www.drklein.net/_disc1/0000001a.htm

http://users.1st.net/hammock/ferrets/fergus/

http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jun00/ferret29062800a.asp

http://cdfa.com/news/twins.html

http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/Ferret_bit_baby.html

http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/texasbite.htm (this one is from TX..from
a while ago...but if you look at the graph...well...gee, dogs should be
banned because they attack the most LOL

Something else I found while searching....this is kinda cute
http://www.storm.ca/~ferret/falpha.shtml

Joanne
Spice, Pepper, Flower, Bugs, Dodge and Kuri
Dogs:  Lea and Maxi
Cat:  Tigger
Fish:  Marmaduke