From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:35:09 -0400
This is an odd question that may have no known answer. How far is a
LONG distance for an average ferret to walk? We camped in the Cherokee
National Forest, TN this weekend and hiked along the Ocoee River (site
of the'96 Olympics whitewater events). Loki and BART! ride in a chest
carrier and walk for short intervals on their leashes. Usually, they
spend too MUCH time digging and foraging to be effective hikers.
However, today BART! wanted to walk for a long way and refused to stay
in the pack and be carried. He walked at a fast pace (trotting, not
running) for over 3/4 of a mile. He is young and healthy (as far as
we KNOW) and was tired, but had to be forced to ride and not walk any
further. I just don't want him to over do it . Does anyone know how
much would be too much walking? Loki walks off and on during hikes,
but never THAT far.

Lesley