From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:45:20 -0400
The "field testing" is of limited use but what IS of use are the titer
results. Granted, a challenge study still will be needed to complete
the data that the two titer studies (each with a different study
design, neither submitted for publication yet) provide.

Here is more info for you and finding this also clears up my own memory
lapse, plus I had not realized that Fervac was in chicken embryo/egg
culture line but that sure can explain some things about its problems
when it existed:

BFF titer study with Galaxy:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG16940

Other info:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG12862

>I will try to clear some of your confusion. Fromm-D was actually a
>chicken embryo cell culture vaccine. (This is very similar to the
>Fervac-D vaccine.) The newer version Galaxy-D is a simian (monkey)
>cell culture vaccine. No virus involved in either of these 2 vaccines.
>The new Merial Purevax-D is a recombinant vaccine using a canary pox
>virus as a carrier. They also use this canary pox vector in their dog
>vaccines. No vaccine connection to lymphoma, but there may be a ferret
>retro virus involved in lymphoma.
>
>Hope that helps,
>Jerry Murray, DVM

Notice that this means that Galaxy is not really the same as Fromm-D
though similar.

The very limited test of Galaxy in ferrets had 16 ferrets total, with
8 of those controls and 8 with the vaccine on board, all neutered male
kits.

>Am J Vet Res. 2001 May;62(5):736-40)
>called "Serologic evaluation, efficacy, and safety of a commerical
>modified-live canine distemper vaccine in domestic ferrets." by
>Wimsatt J, Jay MT, Innes KE, Jessen M, Collins JK.
>Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and
>Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523,
>USA.

>OBJECTIVE: To determine efficacy and safety of a commercial modified-
>live canine distemper virus (CDV) vaccine used for prophylaxis in
>domestic ferrets.
>
>ANIMALS: Sixteen 16-week-old neutered male ferrets.
>
>PROCEDURES: Equal groups of ferrets were inoculated subcutaneously at
>16 and 20 weeks of age with saline (0.9% NaCl) solution or a vaccine
>derived from the Onderstepoort CDV strain and attenuated in a
>primate cell line. Live virulent CDV was administered to all ferrets
>intranasally and orally 3 weeks after the second inoculation. Clinical
>signs and body weights were monitored regularly during the study.
>Blood samples for serologic examination were drawn prior to each
>inoculation, before challenge exposure, and 10, 15, and 21 days after
>exposure. Blood samples for reverse transcriptase polymerase chain
>reaction (RT-PCR) were obtained 5 days after the first vaccination,
>and 5, 10, 15, and 21 days after challenge exposure.
>
>RESULTS: After challenge exposure, control ferrets had significantly
>more clinical signs and weight loss, compared with vaccinates. All
>vaccinated ferrets survived, whereas all control ferrets died. The
>RT-PCR assay was successful in detecting CDV in blood and fresh or
>formalin-fixed tissues from infected ferrets.
>
>CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Findings suggest that the vaccine
>when given SC to domestic ferrets as directed is safe and protective
>against challenge exposure with virulent CDV. The RT-PCR assay may
>simplify detection of CDV in fresh and fixed tissues.

Now, back when there were egg cell line vaccines for most vaccines
the complication and reaction rates were higher, but there WERE long
challenge studies done on ferrets to postulate for dogs with some of
those and some lasted pretty much a typical ferret lifetime, BUT NONE
of those vaccines exist any longer.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/