From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:14:50 -0700
Melissa,

One of our ferrets is blind, and another (our geriatric wonder) is losing
her sight.  They get along just fine; in fact, visitors to the house
usually don't realize that they can't see.  When we adopted the blind
ferret, we made two adjustments to our multi-level cage.  We added ramps
with side rails -- all placed at the same side of the cage so that she
could figure out where they'd be.  And we put a "drop- warning" threshold
at the edge of each shelf -- we used a length of 1x1" wood (furring strips
from the hardware store) cut to the width of each shelf and secured to the
cage bars at both ends.  Isis figured out very quickly that when she bumped
into the "curb" she was running out of floor.

We're careful always to put food, water, and bedding in the same place and
both of our blind girls navigate around the cage as well as their sighted
companions.  They both have excellent directional hearing; they come when
called from anywhere in the house.  Toys that make sounds -- especially
crinkly Mylar balls and toys with bells in them -- are very popular around
here and allow the blind ferrets to participate in chase games.

If your ferret loses his sight, he'll adjust very quickly and will soon be
able to do just about everything he did before (although if he's a climber
now, he may give that up).  Just remember to talk to him before you pick
him up so that you don't startle him, and don't rearrange the furniture in
his cage without letting him know.

Hope this helps,

ellen & the Happy Hooligans
mailto:[log in to unmask]