From:
"Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jul 1996 10:43:35 +0000
Hi,

We, too, have ferrets that hate closed doors. Here's what worked for us:

1. But down a carpet "sample" right by the door.  That way he can scratch
   to his heart's content and not damage the real carpet.  Of course, it
   makes it difficult to open the door unless you have a lot of clearance,
   so you might want to try:
2. Put down a plastic tarp by the door.  Cut it so it fits under the door,
   and secure it to the floor boards with staples (if the boards are wooden)
   and/or to the floor with carpet tacks.  The fuzzbutt will dig and dig and
   dig - but since he won't be able to get any purchase, he can't damage the
   carpet.  Of course, you need to be sure he can't get UNDER the tarp (try
   putting wooden boards down along the "free" edges of the tarp - best if
   the boards are relatively wide like bookshelves).  We use the really
   cheap plastic stuff that is used in autoshops and stuff (it comes in big
   rolls, and you can buy it at Walmart...) so that when they start to rip
   through, we can just throw it out.  Cuts down on "accident" clean-up too.
3. I have seen people put baby doors up in doorways (with a slit cardboard
   tube across the top to prevent easy escape).  That might prevent digging,
   but I doubt it.

Our landlord came to inspect the apartment the other day, and was frankly
amazed at how clean the place was.  Yet another benefit of ferret ownership -
you get so used to cleaning up after them that it becomes habit forming!

Gwen