From:
Valkyrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 01:24:51 +8000
Hello Fuzz-Lovers,

Hmmm...if we think like a ferret does that make it "fuzzy logic"?  ;)

Well, I have an idea that I'm seriously considering.  Perhaps some of you
have tried this, still others maybe you're doing this.  I would like to
start a "Ferret Intervention Counseling Service" FICS (a play on the word
"fix").  What I would be doing is helping new ferret owners and people who
are ready to give up their ferret because of behavioural problems, adjust or
change their caregiving to insure a happy well adjusted and socialized
ferret.  All to often we hear of people buying a ferret and then upon
finding out the specific care or the ferret does something that makes them
unhappy with thier fuzzy, discard it with nary a second thought.  Sad right?
What if there was someone that before they hit that point of discard they
could call?  Perhaps they recieved a brochure at the point of purchase,
perhaps they saw a flyer in the first pet store they went to for ferret
toys.

What if this service was free?  Better yet...what if it was available by
donation..not money necessarily, but bedding, toys, food, etc, for ferrets
in shelters.  They would benefit from the counseling, and my local shelters
would benefit from the donations.  Inturn, the donator would be made aware
of how many ferrets are in shelters and why making an effort with their
ferret is so important.

I would actually go into the home, evaluate the situation, their living
quarters, the interaction between the ferret and owners, etc.  Then advise
them on how to "fix" their problem and work with them.  What do you think?

I don't know, there are alot of details to work out and so I'm looking for
opinions, suggestions, and a thump on the head if I'm crazy for thinking
something like this would benefit the ferret community.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks

Nancy