From:
Robert Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 14:18:05 -0400
 TO:     All Media
 FROM:   MARTY FITZHUGH, BAY COUNTY CORPORATION COUNSEL
 DATE:   JUNE 12, 1997

At 12:15 PM today, the Michigan Supreme Court vacated it's order to stay the
euthanization of Robert Jacobs ferret.  In a 5-2 decision the Court stated
that "the application for leave to appeal is considered, and it is DENIED,
because we are not persuaded that the questions presented should be reviewed
by this Court."

Bay County has followed its legally mandated responsibility as advised by
the State of Michigan to protect the public health and at approximately 1:00
P.M. Today euthuanized the ferret for purposes of testing for rabies.  Bay
County will await the results of rabies testing and will advise the victim
of the outcome of the laboratory analysis.

Bay County sympathizes with Mr. Jacobs and Ms. Zimmer about the loss of
their pet.  The County is relieved that the Michigan Supreme Court has
affirmed the correctness of Bay County's course of action which was dictated
by the State of Michigan.  The County will now turn to other important
issues put aside as the County defended itself against the unexpected and
time-consuming law suit and appeals brought against it by Mr. Jacobs, Ms.
Zimmer, and the Ferret Association

That's it folks,  the "official press release from Bay County.  Now I
have several questions:

1.  What legally mandated responsibility is she talking about???  The laws
here state "RISK ANALYSIS", and my inturpretation of that (along with most
of the world's) is that it's to be unbiased but a fair look at the
situation.

I'm sorry, one judge in the appellate court said that the lower court was in
error in it's decision as did two judges in the Supreme Court.

2.  Protect public health???  What a joke, Kodo was held for 42 days, during
that timem he developed NO sign of rabies, the state didn't, to my
knowledge, ever have a vet examine him in any way until we obtained an order
from the court for our vet to examine him.  If Mr. Ostlund's health was such
a concern why did the state wait 10 days to send him a letter and then only
advise him to see his family physician????  Where's the concern here???
Something is wrong with this picture.

3.  How does anyone consider the Supreme's court decision as "affirmed the
correctness of Bay County's course of action" as being supportive of either
side????  The supreme court stated "we are not persuaded that the questions
presented should be reviewed by this Court" that's a denial, not an
affirmation.  They didn't say Bay County was correct by anyone's
interpretation other than Marty's but two of the judges did have the common
sense to say "Weaver and Kelly, JJ., would find that the trial court
committed clear error and would peremptorily reverse."

4.  "unexpected and time-consuming law suit and appeals", I'm sorry, were we
supposed to roll over and let them tromp on us????  My pets are like my
children, I am no sooner gonna let them slaughter my pets than I would my
children.

I'm sorry folks, This is our government and they think they're GOD and we
have no rights.  They can take the facts and twist and turn them then add a
high level of bulls*** to them so as to muddy up the view and they get thier
way.

On top of it all, Marty throws my personal life into it trying to muddy the
waters even more.  Oh well, such is life.  IT IS NOT OVER!!!!, IT'S ONLY
BEGUN.

We went to court with the facts and figures, they came to court with lies,
old wives tales and insinuation and they won???  Where is the justice.  Oh
gee, I'm outta line, Justice prevails for the government employees and only
for them and we the little peons (who pay their wages) get pooped on and
thrown aside!!  I for one am not done, with all of you behind this Kodo will
not have died in vain.  I shall continue on until such time as Michigan has
a clear law that even these idiots can inturpret which shall save the lives
of our babies.  And when Michigan is done I shall continue on until all
states have a similar law.  My resolve is set, all I need now is to know who
is with us!!

Robert Jacobs
Kodo's Dad