From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:27:45 -0400
Kathy Jordan, owner of Carolina Ferret Farm, a mid sized farm, wrote:
>3. Companies that routinely euthanize ferrets that are 7-8 weeks or
>older when there are no pet store buyers, and we are talking about a
>lot of dead ferrets every week--will they change their policies and
>practices or just kill more ferrets, particularly males that may
>appear larger?

Well, I have been in the ferret world for a long time -- around a
quarter century and I have NEVER heard of this happening, so I kind
of have to wonder just where this statement came from and what you
have to back it up.  To me, without some foundation being given for
this -- and several other things said in your note -- it seems to be
an unfounded distraction from what is really going on here:  bringing
issues to readers who are busy deciding when and how they will let
the USDA know that improving the existing standards will save
ferrets' lives.

I am sure there are some people who love ferrets and dearly care
about them who would appreciate this so here are two highly reputable
places where you can learn more:

http://www.ferretcongress.org/
(Just scroll and click on the various links that interest you.)

and

http://www.ferret.org/news/2005-08-28-a.htm
(Ditto.)

This is the ferret community's chance to improve some of the most
frustrating long term problems that endanger ferrets -- all with just
a letter.