From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:36:38 -0500
I don't know if this will help, but I had an itchy ferret at one time and I
took her to her doctor to get allergy shots.  While visiting, Dr. Roberts
told me to quit using fabric softener on their bedding, use baby detergent
to wash with, and use a medicated/moisturizing ferret shampoo when I wash
her (which incidentally is about once every 3 months.)

I did these things and the itching subsided, but she still did her "itchy
ferret" thing.  I eventually moved to a new house not long there after and
the Dr. told me to clean my carpet BEFORE moving in.  I did.  Her itching
subsided more.

Finally, about 6 months into this, I got a call from Doc and he told me
that he had a ferret owner tell him that they had switched to bottled water
in their house.  (I used filtered water).  He told me to use bottle water
that is specifically for drinking.  I did and Sola's itching is now just
the normal ferret scratching.  I don't get the shots for her anymore and I
am careful with what they come in contact with.

The really sad thing was, she scratched so much, she pulled her hair out.
After using bottled water, the hair grew back super thick!  I'm not saying
the water in particular made the hair grow back, but I think the impurities
that are in tap water aren't good to drink and may have adverse effects on
more sensitive animals and people.

I quit buying $20 filters and now just buy filtered water every week.  With
cooking and drinking and water bottles and bowls, we go through about 7-10
gallons a week.  That's about $9 a week in water.  (and yes, we recycle the
plastic) :-)

Hope this helps out...

April and the no scratch super fuzzy fuzzies of love!

Luna
Orion
Venus
Eros
Sola

Check us out at http://www.gallaty.com

P.S. You can tell by Sola's pictures that in some she had more hair than
others.  Excluding the obvious kit pictures, the furrier ones of her are
more current.

Please join iGive.com and help a charity of your choice.  Join, shop, do a
good deed for your own charity and for mine!  Thanks!