From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 23:29:20 -0800
Hi All,

This is an article I wrote for the F.A.N.G.  newsletter and thought it might
be of interest to everyone.  Hope it is helpful to all of you in the future.

BEWARE Ferret Nappers!

I just watched a report on Dateline that told of disreputable people having
animal sellers permits that take advantage of those in need of placing their
animals in another home.  This can happen with ferrets too.

These animals were taken under the impression they were to be lifetime pets
for the people that adopted them.  In reality these animals were kept for a
very short period of time (perhaps one month) and then sold as research
animals for possibly inhumane testing.  The fees paid for these animals by
the hospitals, labs etc.  that do the testing are fairly high and it is a
lucrative business.  Sadly we all know that ferrets are still used for these
purposes today.

There are things you can do to prevent this terrible fate from happening to
your furry friend.  First you should never advertise a pet for free.  This
is exactly what these people go for first.  If the animal costs them nothing
then the profit is greater.  You should always advertise your animals for a
fair price.  With ferrets I would suggest at least $25 up to $50.  You can
always charge less or nothing at all once you have found a truly good new
owner for your animal.  It is best if you can visit the home where the
animal will be living.  Also it is reccomended that you set up appts.  with
the new owner to visit your animal during the next two months.  Since
disreputable people looking to sell off the animal will not want to keep
them for more than 1 month tops this will deter them from taking your
animal.  Keep those appts.  if you do set them up just to be sure all is
well.  It is a gruesome existence for most testing animals and none of us
would ever want a loving ferret to end up that way.

I and others have personally experienced owners that are not honest when
giving you information about a pet you want to adopt.  It is very important
to get documentation of ferret exams, vaccination records, vet's name,
address, phone # etc.  Be sure to call the vet prior to purchasing if
possible to verify they did treat the animal and to confirm any medical
problems.

If you cannot devote the time to find a really good home for your ferret
then please let F.A.N.G.  or another reputable shelter do it for you.  FANG
questions prospective adopters thoroughly and has papers drawn up that they
must sign stating if they cannot keep the animal for any reason it must be
returned to us for proper placement.  If we find they have violated this
agreement they will absolutely be taken to court.  Please be very careful
when finding a new home for your loved one and take all the precautions that
you can.

          Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House