From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:55:13 -0500
I have read the Australian report on the Fipronil review at
http://www.nra.gov.au/chemrev/fipronil.pdf

In reading it several things will jump out at you.  First is that
Fipronil has been used for ten years in a wide range of things:
agricultural uses, home ant and cockroach baits, meds for domestic
species, etc.  Second is that the rate of adverse reactions to Fipronil
is less than 1 every 10,000 uses.  The third is that the majority of
those reactions are skin irritation among those who handle it a lot:
groomers, vets, etc.

The thing that will make you sit up is the mention of the dogs BUT
notice that it reads funny.  It doesn't read as if they are blaming the
compound, and -- gee -- isn't "Paralysis Tick" an interesting name, and
notice that they keep noting that these ticks were commonly found on
these dogs and that Fipronil is not effective against these ticks.  So,
the next step is to read up on this tick type.  Here is a great place
to start:
http://www.shoal.net.au/~rwylie/tick.html
and there is also a write-up on Paralysis Ticks/Poison Ticks ( Ixodes
holocyclus which is normally found in only part of Australia but has
been encountered in other parts after it hitched a ride on nursery
plants) in John Lewington's _Ferret Husbandry, Medicine & Surgery_
where the ascending paralysis in dogs is noted and that it presents like
botulism in ferrets.

Then read the last part and notice that any possible outcome of a hearing
into a med is mentioned, so look at reviews of other products.  Okay, so
it turns out that those parts are basic form for any review.  The reread
with this information under your belt and you will notice that what is
being said appears to be that they are deciding if there is relabeling
needed to emphasize more strongly that if Ixodes holocyclus is present
that Fiprinil should not be the medicine of choice because it doesn't
work against this tick and the neurological damage the tick causes will
progress as it would without treatment, and also to emphasize that on
rare occasion skin irritation can occur among those who use it regularly.
---

The Wall Street Journal Reporter who mentioned that the ferret
contribution to the national economy was likely over 2 billion dollars
per year (6 times what the highest grossing film brought in during 2003)
is Ken Wells.  I just heard back from Maureen at the Lopate Show.

Hmmm, how much is California losing in taxes to underground economy and
out of state purchases?  Think how useful it might be for that state to
have a modest per household permit fee like we do here in NJ.
---

I'm starting to feel a touch out of it with this minor GI bug so if I
am up to it later I'll read the more serious FML posts and respond if I
think I am between fevers.  Before then, htough: No, fevers don't get
true colds (rhinoviruses) as per veterinary pathologist and ferret
expert Dr. Bruce Williams.  They do get influenza and they do ge sinus
infections which are often mistaken for colds.  The second is one
reason shy ferrets with such symptoms are at times put on antibiotics,
Antibiotics don't work on rhinoviruses, but they do fight bacteria.  Time
for a vet apppointment (and a chest x-ray perhaps to make sure it hasn't
gone ot the lungs) and try steam to make the ferrtet feel a bit better.