From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 04:13:50 -0800
Hi Peter;

This is some information you may want to discuss with your vet that I have
found interesting.:

According to Joel Wallech, DVM, the cause of cardiomyopathy is lack of
Selenium.  He states this is recognized by the WHO (world health
organization, the world version of the National Institute of Health, NIH).
He suggests both Vit.E and selenium as a treatment.  His book on many
diseases can be had from 800-755-4656, it's called "lets play doctor".  He
also spent some 10 years with Marlin Perkins of the wildlife TV fame.

Vets (at least ones in rural midwest areas), have a product called BO-SE by
Schering-Plough in an IV prep.  1mg/ml, vial of 100ml sterile, disigned &
labled for injection for calves, lambs & ewes, sows & weanling pigs.  It has
2.19 mg.  sodium selenite, (1mg. eq.) selenium & 50 mg., (68 USP units) of
Vit.E per each ml.  The cost I paid was $31.00 for the 100ml.

A vet in Ind.  I got some from would draw it from the vial & put it into a
small plastic bottle for ORAL use, he Rx'd 1 drop per day, for one ferret,
prophalictic or preventative dose.

There are also Vit.E / selenium combinations in the health food store, but
you don't want too much selenium either, so finding a vet with dosage
experience is a good idea.

Take care,

Gary & the gang of fur

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.