From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 22:04:27 -0400
Hi gang,

Well, I am back from Austin where I and several other ferret people sat in
on the meeting of the state board to push for the approval of quarantine
procedures that would specifically mention the domestic ferret and allow for
30 day quarantine in any bite case, whether the ferret is vaccinated for
rabies or not.  It also requires that all ferrets be kept indoors in
temperature controlled surroundings and with food and water available at all
times.

The first day the board "requested" that we bring ferrets to the meeting, so
on the second day we did bring 4 ferrets to meet the board.  It was fun and
exciting and enlightening to many on the state board.  The board members
were all very hospitable and friendly to us and to our ferrets.  It was just
great.  The ammendments were approved for publication into the state
register, and if there are no objections within 30 days they will go into
law.  On a side note, we met several Humane Society and Animal Control
people and they were very excited to learn that there are "ferret shelters"
and ferret contacts to pick up ferrets that are taken in by Animal Control,
etc..  I intend to pursue and cultivate these contacts for the benefit of
ferrets across the state.

Back at home... Festus is doing well, eating on his own, not quite as much
as I would like, but I feel he is improving daily.  All the other kids are
doing well, there were no problems while I was gone and, though I missed
them all terribly, I am not sure they even noitced that I wasn't here.
Donna did an excellent job of caring for everyone, as I knew she would.

In Calgary... Guess you all read Monica's post about our little miracle,
White Fang.  She sounds just like a ferret doesn't she?  I think it is just
wonderful.  You all deserve dozens and dozens of ferret hugs and kisses.
You guys saved this little one, and I thank all of you from the bottom of my
heart.  We are considering several possibilities for where she goes next,
but there is no hurry.  Sounds like she is having a ball.

Till next time, kisses to all the furrballs out there....Trish