From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:41:31 -0400
Dear X:

Yes, you are correct - the diagnosis of IBD is the result of seeing
increased numbers of lymphocytes and plasma cells in the intestine, and
would probably be better off being called simply lymphoplasmacytic
enteritis.

The cause of this type of infiltrate in the intestine cannot be ascertained
in most cases, and applying the moniker of IBD to it really does ferrets
and their owners a disservice.  It is simply the morphologic end stage of a
number of disease conditions, including Helicobacter and coronavirus, among
others.

Additionally, in my experience, true lymphoplasmacytic enteritis has
additional morphologic changes including villar blunting, increase in
intraepithelial lymphocytes and other less common changes that are often
not present in many cases in which I am approached to give a second
opinion.  There is a tendency for many pathologists to over-diagnose in
order to be able to give a definitive diagnosis to a client who is
searching in earnest for one.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM