From:
SUSAN MALONE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 06:53:07 CDT
Here's another issue I have been *trying* to keep out of... ahhh what the
heck.  Since I have been known to speak out publicly against Marshalls in
the past... I feel it is only fair I share my newfound feelings.

I have always been against the concept of kits leaving mom and being
shipped too early.  That being said... I also have heard of and/or
witnessed many cases where *MF* kits in a store turned out to be
*imposters*... with or without the stores knowledge.

Personally, I think kits should stay with mom until 8 weeks minimum... in a
perfect world.  Face it folks..  there are private breeders out there who
send them out and/or alter them just as early.  And there are other
corporate breeding facilities who do the same or worse.  I don't think it
is fair to lay every problem at Marshalls doorstep.

Are there things at Marshalls I would personally like to see changed?
Sure, but like any company... changes happen when proper channels are
utilized.  Is whining and griping on a board or mailing list going to
change things?  Nope.  I had the pleasure last week, of speaking with a
member of the Marshalls team... I was very pleased with the conversation.
Marshalls has been and is continuing, to make efforts to improve problems
on all levels.  Including the following:

1. Altering the *time frame* of when they pull the kits, alter and ship
them.  Which currently is NOT the same time frame they commonly accused of.

2. A program where pet stores who receive MF kits undergo an inspection of
conditions and have education of ferret care.
3. An effort is being made to get pet stores to take ferret kits OUT of
the rodent/rabbit section of their stores and IN to the dog/cat section.
This would help with the mindset of which animal a ferret is more like in
terms of care.
4. A way to help ensure when someone purchases a kit, they receive proper
information and educational material.
5. They are designing a new website (which should be up this week or so),
which will be an educational, informative, interactive site... including
features such as "ask a vet", "ask a breeder" etc.

All that being said... are there still some things regarding the ferrets at
Marshalls I would like to see changed?  Sure there is.  But throwing hissy
fits online, boycotting a product, trashing Marshalls etc... none of that
is really going to change anything.  What will change things is this.  if
there is something you don't like, email or write Marshalls and voice your
concerns in a professional, respectful manner... why you don't like it and
offer possible ideas for solutions.

Face it folks..  if those methods were going to do any good, don't you
think they would have by now?  Marshalls has been around for 50 years, is
a huge company and currently are doing just as well, if not better, than
ever.  I have spoken out against Marshalls in the past but in recent
months, I have also seen an honest effort to help ensure the animals'
health and safety, to improve education among pet stores and the public and
making strides in improving the quality of life for all ferrets.  The goal
is not, and nevershould have been to "shut down" Marshalls... but rather to
ensure the well being of ferrets... isn't that really what we all want?
Let's work with them, not against them.  A lot more would get
accomnplished.

I agree the "Marshall Farm reports" out on the web are horrendous.  But to
be fair, it has also come to my attention that those reports are very old,
based on a few incidents that happened years ago.  How long should we hold
a grudge?  Who would benefit from that?  I, personally, have decided to
stop dwelling on bad things that may (or may not) have happened years
ago... and look at what Marshalls is doing NOW and for the future.

Above all else, remember one thing.  Whether you like them or not...
Marshall Farms has played an important part of the evolution of ferrets as
pets inAmerica... and all ferret lovers owe them a debt of thanks for that.

If you want to flame me, you can email me directly.  Don't waste the
spacehere.  I'm a big girl... I can take it.