From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 16:10:24 -0500
Well I went to the vaccination clinic at Petco that I mentioned a few days
ago.  Just a few things I feel are worth mentioning...

There were three people there running the clinic-a vet from Bide-a-Wee in
NYC, and two others from the Pet Preventative Care place, one was a vet tech
and another who went up and down the line having people fill out forms and
pay their fees, distributing rabies tags, etc.

Both the people from Pet Preventative Care seemed to know their stuff
regarding ferrets and vaccines.  The form for vaccination specifies Fervac D
for ferrets.  It does not specify Imrab 3 for ferrets, but the woman knew
that Imrab 3 was the only approved vaccine for rabies with ferrets, and that
only Fervac was USDA approved for ferrets.  She stated emphatically that was
what they used.  Mine were only there for rabies vaccinations, and I did
peek at the vaccine vial beforehand, and it *was* Imrab 3.  (After Dr. Karen
Purcells warning, I spent quite a bit of time wondering how I was going to
inspect the vial without actually seeming rude, fortunately they

put it right on the table, so I just tried to look curious...)

The tech there was quite comfortable handling my ferrets.  I did *not* get
the impression that the vet was as comfortable.  Given that she is from a
NYC animal shelter, she probably doesn't get too many.  (It is worth noting
that NYC is a good hour away from the store, and in this population dense
area, there are dozens of vets closer than that to the store in question,
although certainly not all of them do ferrets.)

She attempted to vaccinate Polly first, in the butt.  This didn't go over
well with her, and she squirmed.  A lot.  Vaccine squirted on her fur.  Now
my vet does the vaccinations by scruffing the ferret in one hand and
administering the vaccine in the neck using her other hand.  Neither ferret
has objected too much on their two experiences with this, so I suggested it
as an alternative, and the vet got a fresh batch of vaccine and revaccinated
her in the neck.  (Kudos to the vet for being open to input.

After seeing the difference, she didn't bother with Katies rear end,
went straight for the neck.) Both ferrets were treated to little cups of
Ferretone as a treat, courtesy of the clinic after the shot.  (About a
tablespoon in the little cup for each.)

The clinic was scheduled from 6-7pm.  I got there around 6:20, and there was
a line already.  When we were done with the shots and ready to go it was
8pm!  If you plan on going to a clinic, I would suggest trying to get there
as early as possible to reduce your wait time.

Total cost for 2 rabies vaccinations and an exam was $16, considerably
cheaper than a trip to our regular vet (that would have been around $46
just for the two shots).

They make you sign a form saying that the animals being vaccinated have no
history of any vaccine reactions.  I was provided with a certificate of
vaccination and rabies tags for my records.

I think it's a good idea to have an established relationship with a local
vet, but a *properly run* vaccination clinic is a good way to save money on
some vaccinations.  Dr. Purcells warning about making sure they are using
(and properly recording on your certificate) the right vaccine is not to be
ignored-this company seems to know which one to use, but I've seen quite a
few posts here from people regarding vets who seem *not* to be well
informed.

IMO, it's still a good idea to have an annual trip to a local ferret
knowledgeable vet for a thorough exam.  A clinic is certainly not somewhere
to bring a ferret (or dog or cat) which has a history of any vaccine
reaction.  And because of the wait time (and the number of dogs), I'd
recommend having them in a hard carrier if at all possible, don't plan to
have them in your arms or even in a carry pouch the whole time.

If you have any questions about the vet doing the clinic, you can call the
company (at least this one) and ask which vet is doing the clinic.  The
number is an answering machine.  You can also listen to a schedule of
clinics in different areas.  888-7PETCARE (toll free) or 610-280-9300.

Their email is [log in to unmask]

-Ilena Ayala and the two freshly revaccinated ferrets Polly and Katie

Polly "Hey, quit jabbing me in the butt!"
Katie "Ferretone, yum!"