From:
Denise McWilliams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:42:48 -0500
Last year the MassSPCA did a study with Prof.  Jack Levin and another
professor whose name I unfortunately forget but they're both well respected
criminologists, about whether cruelty to animals is a precursor to violent
acts against people.  Their study showed the animal cruelty was not a
precursor, but was typically coincident with other criminal activities.
Being a practical sort, I'll leave aside the ethical question of ignoring
violent acts based on the victim's identity.  But for those trying to
convince your local law enforcement people to handle these charges more
agressively try making the argument that cruelty to animals occurs as part
of a larger constellation of criminal behavior and this study is a credible
source to cite.  These days many (not all) law enforcement people
appreciate the value of addressing criminal behavior earlier in the process
and are open to thinking about law enforcement in a different way.

I don't have the study, but I'm sure you could get it fromthe MSPCA

Denise McWilliams
Attorney at Law
330 Broadway
Cambridge, MA  02139