From:
"DIANE M. VITRO" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:35:21 EST
This is the 2nd attempt at sending this post, so I'm hoping for better luck
this time.

I asked my vet to check into the advisability of administering the Program
to my Mugsy, a 1.6 lb. female.  He contacted Ciba labs, the manufacturers
of the Program, about the possibilities.  He was told that Ciba has done no
testing on ferrets, and could not guarantee safety.  However, the chemists
at Ciba that he spoke with said that there should be no effect on mammals,
and that only insects should be affected.  Flea eggs should not hatch or
mature properly.  The vet advised me that there was a calculated risk worth
taking because fleas can devastate a 1.6 lb animal quickly.  Mugsy has been
taking .27ccs because the dosage is strictly guesswork.  We have a cat that
is in excess of 11lbs, so we have the heavier dosage of the Program and the
vet basically advised that we should give Mugsy a tenth of one dosage for
the cat.  She has been on a once a month dosage since December, and she has
suffered no side effects to date.  Hope that this has helped you some.

                                Regards,
                                        Neil Vitro

[Moderator's note: An excellent post on the subject appears in issue 1169.
According to that, someone at Ciba Geigy suggested 30/mg/kg.  BIG]